Monday, June 20, 2005

Okay I thought I'd better update before my daily readers get inpatient hehe. Well things are still going really well in the Daycare I'm enjoying it, and settling in really well. It's a bit odd trying to change everyday British Toddler words to American ones such as..

American
Diaper
Pacifier
Bandaid

British
Nappy
Dummy
Plaster

I've gotten used to saying all the other words it's hard to change, I really have to think before I speak because the children just don't know what I mean.

Joy asked if there were any behavior differences between American toddlers and English Toddlers, I've noticed a few, but not many. The Toddlers seem to be very loving they always want hugs and kisses, they are never shy all are full of confidence; I think that's just an American thing really I've found that most American's are full of confidence and are outgoing. I have also noticed that they are all so bright/intelligent the first day I was there they all noticed that my voice was different. Most of them had said "Your voice is funny" or "Funny Voice", I tried to explain to them that I wasn't from this country that I was from the place where the Queen was from. Some of the older ones understood what I had said, and now they think I'm a Princess.

Discipline procedures are a little different to the UK, I know a lot of Playschools/Daycares in the UK send children to the Naughty Corner or the Naughty Chair when they've done something wrong. But here I'm not allowed to say the word Naughty it's kinda forbidden, if the kids have done something wrong apparently they take a "Time Out".

I'm actually getting used to the longer day's, it's not so bad. It's hard trying to keep up with house cleaning though, as when you get home you don't really want to do anything. I'll have to try and get everything done on the weekends.

For some reason I've felt a little homesick over the weekend, I think being in a Daycare got me thinking of the future and when we're ready to start a family. I've been thinking really hard about going back to the UK when we are both ready to settle down. I want my family close to me when we have kids; I know my sisters and parent's really want to see my children grow up. But on the other hand I love being in the US and would love to stay here. Guess I didn't think my family wouldn't be around when I had kids, I always imagined them being close by. Hmm guess I should have thought about all this before I emigrated huh?