Thursday, August 04, 2005

Thank god it's Friday tomorrow, this week has been hard going, it's weeks like these where I have to rethink the number of Children I'd like to have. We now have 14 kids enrolled in our class, I'd say about half of them haven't even turned 1 yet. The rest are nearly 2 give or take a few months. I enjoy working with the kids but I didn't think we'd have this many, and we may get more. My co-worker Jessica isn't really pleased with the company as we were told we'd have a 5-1 ratio. It's hard to watch out for them all, we really need another person in there to help out.

I really feel sorry for a lot of these kids, they are having a real tough time. I won't go into to much detail as a lot of stuff I've heard may upset some people. But few come from Drug and alcohol abusive families. I mean I knew this stuff happens all the time but I just didn't think I'd come across it so openly. I sometimes wonder why these people even had kids. Like Tuesday I finished work and one of my kids was leaving the same time as me, he's about 18mths and his mom just put him in the back seat of the car with just the seat belt on. No Child Safety chair nothing, I was like you do realize that's against the law and your endangering your child. And she turned round and said "It's my child, not yours so back off" I was so shocked and upset. I did go and talk to my supervisor about it, and she said she'd look into it.

We also had a case of a foster child that came in, he's been homeless most of his life and he's about 15mths old. He was biting a lot of kids for no reason, I mean some of the kids bite out of frustration although it's not okay you can still understand why they do it. But this little guy was biting for no reason and was really hurting the other kids. The Physiologist who was treating him did mention that his biting could be because of malnutrition. Unfortunately he had to leave as in the last 19 days he's attempted 60 bites and bitten 25 bites on the children. I really hope he does okay, as he's such a sweet little guy.